Amercian Standards for Galvanized Steel
Coating Steel Product Standards
For coated-steel sheet products, the standards are written by ASTM Committee A05, a body comprised of knowledgeable volunteers who oversee the development and revision of the specific standards related to coated steel products.
Inch-Pound versus SI
When an ASTM standard number is written as, for example, A653/A653M, it means it is a “Dual” standard and allows the product to be ordered in either “Inch-Pound” (English) units, or “SI” (Metric) units. The two sets of units are to be regarded separately as standard units. In the text the SI units are shown in brackets. Keep in mind that the values stated in each system are not exact equivalents and each system must be used independently of the other. In this example, when ordering galvanize to inch-pound units, specify A653. When ordering to SI units, specify A653M.
Almost all ASTM standards for coated sheet products are dual specifications. The exceptions are some of the electrogalvanize products, viz., A917 and A918. These standards, while not having an “M” after the number, specify only SI units.
The common terms that are included in many customer requirements such as G60, A40, Commercial Steel (CS), Deep Drawing Steel (DDS), etc. all have their origin within the appropriate ASTM Standard.
||Zinc – 10% Iron
||55% Aluminum – Zinc
||Zinc – 5% Aluminum
|| Zn – 0.5/13% Al – 0.4/4% Mg
||Al – 5/11% Si, or pure Al
|General requirements for all hot-dip coatings – ASTM A 924/A 924M
ASTM Hot-Dip Steel Sheet Specifications
A653/A653M - Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) or Zinc-Iron AlloyCoated (Galvannealed) by the Hot-Dip Process
• Covers galvanized and galvannealed steel sheet in coils and cut lengths.
• The most commonly used type of coated-steel sheet in manufacturing and construction.
A1063/A1063M - Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Twin-Roll Cast, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) by the Hot-Dip Process
• Covers steel sheet produced by the Twin-Roll Cast process and galvanized in coils and cut lengths.
• Contains only galvanized sheet for commercial, structural, and high-strength low-alloy grades.
A792/A792M - Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, 55% Aluminum-Zinc Alloy-Coated by the Hot-Dip Process
• Covers 55% aluminum-zinc alloy-coated steel sheet in coils and cut lengths.
• Intended for applications requiring high corrosion resistance and/or heat resistance.